Council vehicles / emissions (FOI-3644)
Re: Freedom of Information Request.
Thank you for your request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, received 3 July 2019. Your request has been considered and our response is in bold below.
You requested the following:
1. How many road vehicles (vans/minibuses/HGVs/cars/motorbikes) does your local authority currently use either directly or via your contractors
We operate approximately 488 road registered vehicles at this moment in time.
2. What proportion of these are currently a) zero emissions b) low emissions (ULEZ standard) c) diesel d) pre Euro VI diesel”
56 are zero emissions; 3 are below 75gkm and all remaining fleet vehicles will be Euro 6 / VI by October 2020.
3. What proportion of these vehicles are planned to be a) zero emissions by 2030 b) low emissions (ULEZ standard) by 2030?
We cannot answer this question with any accuracy, as while it is our ambition for our fleet to be fully electric, vehicle technology and associated charging infrastructure is not yet ready for some vehicle types and specifications that we operate. Until electric technology is available, affordable and reliable for these larger specialist vehicles, we will be operating the latest generation of biofuels on our larger non electric vehicles. This biofuel is more than 80% CO2 efficient and up to 69% NOx efficient.
4. Have you signed up to Clean Van Commitment (zero emissions vans by 2028)
Yes. We were one of the first organisations to sign up to the Clean Van Commitment.
5. Are you involved in any Innovate UK vehicle trials?”
We are involved with numerous fleet related bodies and have been at the forefront of renewable biofuel use for more than 10 years, was instrumental in developing the London Mayors Biodiesel Programme and establishing Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil as the latest generation renewable biofuel winning numerous fleet/environmental awards for our work.
6. Have you signed the Clean Bus commitment?
No, as we do not operate any service buses. In London all service buses are operated by Transport for London.
7. How many school streets (exclusions zones for cars around schools) are there in your local authority currently - both as a total figure and a percentage of the overall schools, broken down by primary and secondary?
This information is accessible to the applicant by other means: https://www3.hackney.gov.uk/school-streets
The applicant can find the total number of schools in Hackney using the tool here: https://get-information-schools.service.gov.uk/
8. How many school streets are there likely to be by 2022 in your local authority both as a total figure and a percentage of the overall schools, broken down by primary and secondary?
There is a target for 17 School Streets by 2022. This is not broken down by primary and secondary
9. What is preventing you from establishing more school streets (resources / skill set / finances / local opposition)?
Nothing is preventing us from establishing more school streets. The challenges in establishing sites is available in this published document: https://news.hackney.gov.uk/hackney-council-launches-nationwide-blueprint-to-ban-traffic-outside-schools/
Note, the contents of the toolkit are copyrighted
10. What estimate have you made of the financial resources needed to implement school streets?
£400,000 to meet our target.
Appeals & Complaints Procedure
If you are dissatisfied with this response and wish to appeal, please write to the Information Management Team and this will be dealt with through our Internal Review procedure.
Information Management Team - Governance
London Borough of Hackney
Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
London E8 1DY
Your request for an internal review should be submitted to us within 40 working days of receipt by you of this response. Any such request received after this time will only be considered at the discretion of the Council.
If you are still not satisfied following the Internal Review, you have a right to appeal to the Information Commissioner at the contact details provided below.
Information Commissioner"s Office
Telephone: 01625 545 700
Information Management Team
London Borough of Hackney