Planning regulations surrounding leisure centers and gyms (FOI-2785)
Dear ***** *****
Re: Freedom of Information Request.
Thank you for your request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, received 4 March 2019. Your request has been considered and our response is in bold below.
You requested the following:
I am writing to request information on the grounds of the Freedom of Information Act (2000). I would like to know more about planning regulations surrounding leisure centers and gyms. Please write your answer in the provided spaces below. Promoting Leisure Centres on the High Street
The Council’s Response
Some of the information you have requested is exempt under Section 21 of the Freedom of Information Act. Section 21 (2a) states that information which is reasonably accessible to the applicant (even if it is accessible only on payment) is exempt.
Promoting Leisure Centres on the High Street
1. According to the most recent data available, what is the number of high streets (primary business spaces) in your local authority?
The information on high streets in Hackney (the number of town and local centres) can be found in the Development Management Local Plan (2015). It can be accessed through the following link: https://hackney.gov.uk/media/4257/Adopted-Hackney-DMLP-July-2015-/pdf/Development-management-local-plan.pdf?m=635903734210670000
Going forward, the Town Centre and Local Centre designations in Hackney can be found in the emerging Hackney Local Plan (LP33). Once adopted, LP33 will replace the Development Management Local Plan. It is available through the link: https://hackney.gov.uk/LP33.
2. According to the most recent data available, what is a) the number and b) the proportion of disused stores on each of the high streets in your local authority?
Information requested on vacancy rates can be found in the Town Centre and Retail Study (2017) https://hackney.gov.uk/media/9654/town-centre-and-retail-study-2017-/pdf/hackney-rtcs-volume-1-main-report.pdf?m=636443671331070000
3. How many A1 and A2 facilities (shops, financial and professional services) have a) opened and b) closed over the last 12 months
Information not held by Planning.
4. How many operators of leisure or gym facilities have applied for change of use from the A1 or A2 classification to the D2 classification over the past 12 months on each of the high streets within your local authority?
The information requested is available to view on Council"s website. Details on planning permissions (including applications for a change of use) can be found using the link below where you can search under application type, development description and decision.
5. How many operators of leisure or gym facilities have unsuccessful applied for change of use from the A1 or A2 classification to the D2 classification over the past 12 months on each of the high streets within your local authority?
The information on recent planning applications is available through the following link: http://planning.hackney.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/home.aspx (see response to Question 4)
6. Of all applications for change of use from the A1 or A2 classification to the D2 classification, how many have been successful over the past 12 months?
The information on recent planning applications is available through the following link: http://planning.hackney.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/home.aspx. (see response to Question 4)
Appeals & Complaints Procedure
If you are dissatisfied with this response and wish to appeal, please write to the Information Management Team and this will be dealt with through our Internal Review procedure.
Information Management Team - Governance
London Borough of Hackney
Hackney Service Centre
1 Hillman Street
London E8 1DY
Your request for an internal review should be submitted to us within 40 working days of receipt by you of this response. Any such request received after this time will only be considered at the discretion of the Council.
If you are still not satisfied following the Internal Review, you have a right to appeal to the Information Commissioner at the contact details provided below.
Information Commissioner"s Office
Telephone: 01625 545 700
Information Management Team
London Borough of Hackney